TBH? Social Media App takes Beaver Local by Storm

There is a new app that is going around school: the TBH app. TBH stands for “To be Honest”. The app itself allows students to select things like school, gender, and grade before allowing them to join. The students can submit poll questions that the app will ask other students with student member’s names for the answers. This is a flashback to the popular app of years past called “After School”.

“After School” is an app where you can join your school and anonymously post things about other people. This app became a bully’s playground, using it to post extremely negative and rude things about other students. This is where the TBH app seems to differ (so far). The polls are all things like “biggest heart” and “best laugh” while also having comedic polls in the mix, such as “knows the difference between angel and angle without googling it”.

Every time you are voted for in a poll, you get a notification that allows you to see what you were voted for, while still not knowing who voted for you other than “a boy in 9th grade” or “a girl in 12th grade”.

I decided to interview some kids from school(between the grades 9-12) to get their opinions on the new, somewhat addicting, app. The questions I asked and the answers I received are as follows:

What do you think of the app?

I really like it because it boosts my ego and stuff. -a boy in 12th grade

How do the poll answers make you feel?

Big(good). -a boy in 12th grade

Is this app better than After School?

No, they are both stupid. -a girl in 10th grade

How did you hear about the app?

I saw it on someone’s Snapchat story. – a girl in 12th grade

Do you think the app will last or burn out quickly?

I think it’ll last, not too long, not too short. Probably about a month or two. – a girl in 12th grade

Do you think this app has a more positive outlook on the student body than After School did?

Yeah. -a girl in 10th grade

Do you feel that the anonymity of the app allows you to choose people as answers that you wouldn’t normally?

I suppose so. -a boy in 9th grade

Could you foresee this app becoming a problem/becoming negative?

If people abused it and asked the wrong questions, yes, but the app reviews questions to make sure they are appropriate. – a girl in 12th grade

Do you think any of these answers have had a negative effect on any student?

Probably not. -a boy in 9th grade

As you can see, the student body is somewhat divided on the new polling app. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see whether it dies down or sticks around!