A Letter to the Freshman

Here’s a small letter of advice from a senior wishing she would’ve done more throughout high school. Coming in to high school I tried to fit in with the older kids just like everyone does. That was my first mistake. Don’t be scared to be friends with the older kids but don’t go out of your comfort zone for them to like you. You’ll grow up quick enough in these next four years, don’t rush it. I remember wanting to be like the juniors and seniors getting to drive around and hanging out with friends even on school nights. I blinked my eyes and was suddenly pulling long work hours after school along with cheer practice and juggling a small social life with friends. Freshman year is where you start to see where you fit in, what lunch table you want to sit at, and what sports you may want to try. Get involved in the clubs such as Science, History, Varsity B, and SADD. For the girls, don’t ever let a guy tell you how to live your life. This will ruin the beginning of your high school career and you’ll regret it later. Though you might not choose certain sports your freshman year, it’s never too late to try them later. Our senior year my friend Abby decided to quit cheering during basketball season and try swimming, this was one of the best decisions of her life. Although she loved cheering, she’s really loving being on the swim team. I also am going to try something new for my last year here. It is never too late to try something new in high school but don’t be scared to come in freshman year and try out everything! Best of luck to the freshman now, incoming freshman, and all the other high school students.